Making your salad dressings at home is a fun, easy, tastier way to add flavoring to your summer produce.
First start with a 3 to 1 ratio of extra virgin olive oil to vinegar. Olive oil and vinegar react like water and oil, creating an unstable emulsion. You can slow this process down by using an emulsifier (pictured) which will act as a bond between the two ingredients (available for order over the phone at 877-331-2190). Adding a tablespoon of mustard or honey can help keep your dressing emulsified for up to 15 minutes.
Before dressing your salad be sure you leaves are dry, otherwise they repel the dressing. We find it helpful to pour some of the vinaigrette into the base of the serving bowl before adding the salad, and then tossing it through the leaves – it seems to give more even coverage. And lastly, don't dress a green salad until you're ready to eat it – after time the oil in the dressing will make your leaves look all sad and wilted.
Some fun olive oil and vinegar combinations we recommend:
- Ascolano and Peach Balsamic Vinegar
- Miller’s Blend with Strawberry Balsamic Vinegar
- Sevillano with Red Apple Balsamic Vinegar
- Garlic Olive Oil and Traditional Balsamic Vinegar
- Meyer Lemon Crush Olive Oil and Blueberry Balsamic Vinegar
- Mandarin Orange Crush and Fig Balsamic Vinegar
- Chocolate Olive Oil and Wild Cherry Balsamic Vinegar
- Basil Infused Olive Oil with Pineapple Balsamic Vinegar
- Persian Lime Olive Oil and White Lemon Balsamic Vinegar
- Lemon Infused and Red Apple Balsamic Vinegar