Ingredients: Serves 4
• 3 lbs. calamari, (squid) cleaned and cut. Cut the tubular body into 1/4 inch rings and by all means use the tentacles.
• 1/3 cup Lucero Miller's Blend Olive Oil
• 1/4 cup white sherry
• 1 tablespoon crushed fresh garlic
• 1/2 lemon • 1 teaspoon dry basil or 1 tablespoon fresh
• 1 teaspoon dry oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh
• 1/4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
• Red Sauce (below)
• In large skillet heat olive oil at high heat. Add sherry wine and sautè crushed garlic. CAUTION: This procedure will flame up! If you are cooking indoors , add wine and lemon juice after the calamari has been sautèed. Squeeze the juice of 1/2 lemon into the pan and place the lemon rind in the pan. Sprinkle herbs over and add calamari. Sautè calamari for approximately 2 minutes on high heat. Do not over-cook!
Ingredients for Gilroy Garlic Festival's Famous Red Sauce:
• 1 lb whole, peeled tomatoes, canned or fresh
• 1 tablespoon Lucero Miller's Blend Olive Oil
• 1/2 green pepper chopped
• 1 stalk celery, chopped
• 1 medium-sized yellow onion, chopped
• 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
• Mash tomatoes with potato masher and set aside. In medium-size pan heat oil, add chopped ingredients and sautè until onion is transparent. Add mashed tomatoes and simmer for 1/2 hour. Pour red sauce over calamari and heat for 1 minute.