This yummy recipe was featured on The Domestic Rebel, a fun baking blog, which has great pictures and other tasty recipes:
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup red wine
1/2 cup Lucero chocolate olive oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup pureed fresh blackberries (or 1/2 cup seedless blackberry jam)
2 cups sugar
1 & 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
Blackberry Buttercream Frosting (recipe & ingredients follow)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 muffin tins with 24 paper liners. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder and soda and salt. Set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the eggs, buttermilk, wine, olive oil, vanilla extract and pureed blackberries or jam. Begin gradually adding the dry ingredients into the wet, mixing well after each addition until a very thin batter has formed.
3. Portion batter evenly among muffin tins, filling about 2/3 full. Bake for approximately 14-16 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely, & prepare the frosting.
Blackberry Buttercream Frosting
1/3 cup pureed fresh blackberries or jam
2/3 cup butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
About 6 cups powdered sugar
Splash of Lucero chocolate olive oil
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the pureed berries, butter and vanilla until blended. Gradually add powdered sugar, about one cup at a time, until light and fluffy. Blend in the splash of oil for an extra richness, because everyone wants to be extra-rich.
2. Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes. Garnish with edible pearls or a fresh blackberry, if desired. Store airtight in the fridge.
**Check out more recipes by Hayley at: http://thedomesticrebel.com