Asparagus Gruyere Tart
May 12, 2011
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
· Flour, for working with the dough and surface
· 1 sheet frozen store bought puff pastry
· 2 cups Gruyere cheese, grated
· 1 ½ pounds medium asparagus
· 1 tablespoon Lucero Manzanillo Olive Oil
· Sea salt and freshly ground coarse black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. On a flat floured surface, roll the puff pastry into a 16-by-10 inch rectangle. Trim off any uneven edges to shape a rectangle. Transfer puff pastry to a baking sheet. Lightly score pastry dough with a knife 1 inch from edges to outline a rectangle. With a fork, pierce dough inside the rectangle outline at ½ inch intervals. Bake pastry dough until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
2. Remove pastry shell from oven, sprinkle with grated Gruyere. Trim the bottoms of asparagus spears to fit horizontally across pastry shell. Place asparagus in a single layer over cheese. Brush entire pastry shell and asparagus with Lucero Manzanillo Olive Oil. Season with sea salt and coarse pepper. Bake until asparagus is tender, 25 to 30 minutes.