Last week at Lucero was Health and Safety Awareness Week. Each department was required to come up with a challenge for the entire staff, ranging from walking on breaks to giving compliments. These simple tasks truly made everyone feel a bit better than usual. To end the week, we had a healthy potluck. Everyone made delicious dishes and many incorporated Lucero’s healthy Extra Virgin Olive Oils. The following was a huge hit at the potluck:
Baked Mandarin Orange Sweet Potato Chips
Makes about 6cups
4 medium Sweet Potatoes or Yams
8 Tbsp. Lucero’s Crushed Mandarin Orange Olive Oil
3 tsp. Orange Zest
4 tsp. Thyme (dried)
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 325 and place rack in the middle.
2. Scrub sweet potatoes/yams and then slice them into very thin pieces using a mandolin.
3. Mix together Crushed Mandarin Orange Olive Oil* and orange zest.
4. Brush 2 baking sheets with the some of the oil mixture and arrange one layer of sweet potatoes.
5. Brush the tops of the sweet potatoes with oil mixture; sprinkle with thyme, salt, and pepper to taste.
6. Place in the oven and bake for about until golden brown and centers are dry to the touch, about 20minutes.
7. Place baking sheet on a wire rack and allow to cool 3minutes. After cooling carefully transfer chips to a serving dish and enjoy!
8. Repeat steps 4-7 until you run out of slices of sweet potato.
*Lucero Crushed Mandarin Orange Olive Oil is currently sold online and in the Lucero retail store in Corning, CA.
These little chips are light and a great alternative to regular fried potato chips, but be warned they may be habit forming. The staff was craving more as soon as we ran out. I guess I know what I will be bringing to the next company potluck.