You have no items in your shopping cart.
Alison’s on-The-Lighter-Side Macaroni and Cheese
March 2, 2012
- 2 tablespoons Lucero Ascolano Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 5 slices white sandwich bread, with crust
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound Mostaccioli pasta
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 5 tablespoons all purpose flour
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of onion powder
- Pinch of garlic powder
- 2 cups low-fat (1 percent) milk
- 8 ounces (about 2 1/4 cups) extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 ounce (about ½ cup) Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 ounce (about ½ cup) Gruyere cheese, freshly grated
- Process bread in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Melt 1 tablespoon butter with olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs, and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon salt and the pasta. Cook pasta until almost al dente, about 6 minutes. Drain, and run under cold water to stop cooking. Transfer to a large bowl; set aside.
- Whisk 1/2 cup chicken stock into the flour in a medium bowl; set aside. Melt remaining tablespoon butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in nutmeg, onion, garlic and 1 teaspoon salt. Add milk and remaining 1 1/2 cups stock. Whisk in flour mixture. Bring to a boil, whisking frequently. Reduce to a simmer. Cook 8 minutes, whisking frequently. Add cheeses; cook, stirring, until melted. Pour over macaroni, stirring to combine.
- Place Macaroni in a 9 x 9 inch baking pan, sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake until bubbling and golden brown, about 30-45 minutes. Serve immediately.
*Courtesy of Lucero Olive Oil employee Alison Rodegerdts