- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 sweet onions, sliced thickly (about 5-6 slices per onion)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/4-1/2 cup balsamic vinegar (depending on personal preference)
1.Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add half of onions, cook down slightly then add the other half. (You can add them all at once but it might be difficult to stir until they cook down some, depending on the size of your skillet). Season with salt & pepper.
2.Once onions are cooked down slightly (enough that you can stir them all in the skillet without any going overboard) add sugar and stir gently. Add balsamic and stir again. Reduce heat to low and slowly cook onions, stirring occasionally, for an hour or so. Vinegar will reduce and coat onions.
3.Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Can be served at room temperature.
For the Burger
- 1-1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 Pound ground beef
- 4 slices cheese (if desired)
- 4 hamburger buns or rolls, split
- Grill the burgers - add garlic powder to the meat season - it will take about 10 - 15 minutes to cook the burgers over Medium-High Heat
- Toast the buns
- In a bowl - combine the following well - mayo, mustard, and lemon juice
- Once the burgers are cooked top with cheese (if desired)
- Place the mayo mixture on the bottom of each bun then caramelized onions, along with additional toppings of your choice, finally top with the top bun
Recipe adapted from budget savvy diva and the wicked noodle.