Monthly Archives: July 2013
July 30, 2013
At the 35th Annual Gilroy Garlic Festival - Pork Green Chili and Homemade Whole Wheat Tortillas. Try them out for yourselves!
Pork Green Chili
1-2 lbs of cubed pork
5 cloves of garlic
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup warm water
4 jalapeño peppers
4 habanero peppers
Heat a large frying pan on high heat, add Lucero Arbequina olive oil and cubed pork, cook in the olive oil till nice and brown.
Add garlic, and whole wheat flour, stir until brown lightly. Mix in the warm water and stir briskly, till you get a gravy like consistency. Add the fresh green roasted chilies. Bring to boil then turn down to simmer for 20 minutes.
Homemade Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas
8 cups of wheat flour
1 Tbsp. of salt
Water for binding
In a large bowl mix whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt and Lucero Miller's Blend Olive Oil. After mixing well, add luke warm water to the mixture to bind mixture, knead until no longer sticky. Tear off hand size chunks of dough making small balls, knead the ball of dough stacking them back into the bowl Once done creating balls, cover with cloth for 10 minutes
Heat hot plate on high Start rolling balls of dough flat with rolling pin, in round circles, until about 1/8 inches thick or more Cook on both sides on hot plate for about 15 seconds. Stack finished tortillas once cooked in cloth to keep warm
July 23, 2013
Ingredients: Serves 4
• 3 lbs. calamari, (squid) cleaned and cut. Cut the tubular body into 1/4 inch rings and by all means use the tentacles.
• 1/3 cup Lucero Miller's Blend Olive Oil
• 1/4 cup white sherry
• 1 tablespoon crushed fresh garlic
• 1/2 lemon • 1 teaspoon dry basil or 1 tablespoon fresh
• 1 teaspoon dry oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh
• 1/4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
• Red Sauce (below)
• In large skillet heat olive oil at high heat. Add sherry wine and sautè crushed garlic. CAUTION: This procedure will flame up! If you are cooking indoors , add wine and lemon juice after the calamari has been sautèed. Squeeze the juice of 1/2 lemon into the pan and place the lemon rind in the pan. Sprinkle herbs over and add calamari. Sautè calamari for approximately 2 minutes on high heat. Do not over-cook!
Ingredients for Gilroy Garlic Festival's Famous Red Sauce:
• 1 lb whole, peeled tomatoes, canned or fresh
• 1 tablespoon Lucero Miller's Blend Olive Oil
• 1/2 green pepper chopped
• 1 stalk celery, chopped
• 1 medium-sized yellow onion, chopped
• 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
• Mash tomatoes with potato masher and set aside. In medium-size pan heat oil, add chopped ingredients and sautè until onion is transparent. Add mashed tomatoes and simmer for 1/2 hour. Pour red sauce over calamari and heat for 1 minute.
July 2, 2013
Vanilla bean ice cream
1/2 c. apple juice
1/4 c. water
1/2 c. sugar
Grated zest of 1 lemon
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 c. dried cherry infused cranberries
1 pint gourmet vanilla bean ice cream
1. Combine all topping ingredients in small sauce pan.
2. Bring to a boil and stir until sugar is dissolved.
3. Add the cranberries and reduce heat to low.
4. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
5. Let topping cool before drizzling over the ice cream.
July 2, 2013
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 tsp Salt
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons milk
3 teaspoons of Lucero White Lemon Balsamic Vinegar
1 tube of red and blue piping gel
1. Stir flour, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl.
2. Beat olive oil and sugar with a mixer on medium-high speed until incorporated, slightly yellow, and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture, then vanilla. Refrigerate dough, wrapped in plastic wrap, for at least 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Roll out dough to about 1/4-inch thickness on a floured surface. Cut out cookies using a round cookie cutter, rerolling scraps once. Transfer to a baking sheet.
4. Bake until edges just start to brown, 17 to 19 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack, and let cool completely.
5. Mix powdered sugar, milk and Lucero White Lemon Balsamic Vinegar to make frosting. Frost cookies with white icing to cover.
6. Immediately using piping gel pipe a red or blue dot in the center of cookie. Then pipe concentric rings of colors around the center dot (using the same color as the dot, or alternating colors).
7. Drag a toothpick through the colors to create bursts, starting from the center dot and working toward the edge. Alternate dragging inward and outward as you work around the cookie. (Or drag around the cookie in 1 direction or curve the lines for a pinwheel effect.) Let dry. Repeat with remaining cookies and icings.