Monthly Archives: March 2012
March 5, 2012
The results are in...
Lucero Ascolano Extra Virgin Olive Oil was awarded the most prestigious award in California Saturday night, in the California Olive Oil Council's 2012 olive oil competition:
"BEST OF SHOW" - Large Producer Division
This award makes Lucero Ascolano the most awarded olive oil in North America, and Lucero's most awarded mono-varetial Certified Extra Virgin Olive Oil since starting the company in 2005. Ascolano is known for it's tropical "fruity" flavors like peaches, pineapple and apricot.
The Lucero Team is proud to accept this award amongst a tough field of top olive oil producers in California.
"We are passionate about what we do" - The Lucero Team.
March 2, 2012
- 2 tablespoons Lucero Ascolano Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 5 slices white sandwich bread, with crust
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound Mostaccioli pasta
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 5 tablespoons all purpose flour
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of onion powder
- Pinch of garlic powder
- 2 cups low-fat (1 percent) milk
- 8 ounces (about 2 1/4 cups) extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 ounce (about ½ cup) Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 ounce (about ½ cup) Gruyere cheese, freshly grated
- Process bread in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Melt 1 tablespoon butter with olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs, and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon salt and the pasta. Cook pasta until almost al dente, about 6 minutes. Drain, and run under cold water to stop cooking. Transfer to a large bowl; set aside.
- Whisk 1/2 cup chicken stock into the flour in a medium bowl; set aside. Melt remaining tablespoon butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in nutmeg, onion, garlic and 1 teaspoon salt. Add milk and remaining 1 1/2 cups stock. Whisk in flour mixture. Bring to a boil, whisking frequently. Reduce to a simmer. Cook 8 minutes, whisking frequently. Add cheeses; cook, stirring, until melted. Pour over macaroni, stirring to combine.
- Place Macaroni in a 9 x 9 inch baking pan, sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake until bubbling and golden brown, about 30-45 minutes. Serve immediately.
*Courtesy of Lucero Olive Oil employee Alison Rodegerdts