Authenticity and Quality
The past decade has seen an accelerated interest in extra virgin olive oil. Demand in America has doubled, and to this day 97% of America’s olive oil supply is imported. Unfortunately, and as you may have read, grade standards, labeling, and compliance for olive oil authenticity and quality is inconsistent from country to country. When making a purchase, the questions arise: is the product authentically olive oil? How can one be sure? Also, if it is really olive oil, is it of the grade quality it claims to be? Discerning the truth has not traditionally been an easy path for food loves to navigate. We’re here to help!
About Our Authenticity
Lucero Olive Oil is considered a “big” small producer. By that we mean that by world standards we’re quite small, however by California State law our annual volume requires that our company be regulated by the Olive Oil Commission of California. The Olive Oil Commission of California [OOCC] is a government entity of the state of California and operates with general oversight from the California Department of Food and Agriculture [CDFA]. The Olive Oil Commission of California exists to protect consumers and support California olive farmers by:
- Conducting research to assist farmers in successfully growing a healthy, sustainable crop.
- Developing and enforcing standards for the purity and quality of California olive oil.
- Verifying California olive oil quality through mandatory government sampling and independent third-party analysis.
- Promoting simple, clear accurate labels for California olive oil.
All extra virgin olive oils sold by Lucero Olive Oil have undergone sensory and chemical evaluation by the OOCC to ensure that the contents are authentically olive oil of the extra virgin grade quality.
For more information, visit www.OliveOilCommission.org.
About Our Quality
We belong to an international non-profit trade association called The Extra Virgin Alliance. EVA's mission is to restore trust in the marketplace. Producer members agree to abide by this Code of Practice:
- Truth in Labeling: All the olive oil we make, package, distribute, or sell must be accurately and truthfully labeled.
- Best Before Dates: All olive oil labels must include a best before date. This date is binding for the EVA off-the-shelf program.
- Off Shelf Testing: We agree to off shelf testing of our EVA marked extra virgin olive oil products measured against EVA quality parameters contained in the EVA Minimum Standard for extra virgin olive oil. EVA marked products are expected to meet the EVA minimum quality standard up until the best before date.
- Product Origin: We agree to provide product origin on product labels.
- Production Facility/ Warehouse/ Shop Visits: We agree to a visit from EVA observers nominated by the Board at any time with reasonable notice.
- Production Volume: We agree to report volume of production of EVA branded oil and basic quality data at the close of the harvest/milling season.
- Traceability and Food Safety: We agree to adhere to the requirements of food production systems regarding traceability, chemical residues, and food safety in the USA.
For more information, visit www.ExtraVirginAlliance.org
More About Authenticity
Keeping kosher is important to some of our customers, so we work with KOF-K Kosher Supervision to kosher certify our olive oil annually. All Lucero Extra Virgin Olive Oils, Crushed (Agrumato) Olive Oils, and Infused Flavored Olive Oils are KOF-K certified kosher and pareve for Passover except for our Infused Lemon olive oil. This is because the supplier of the lemon oil is not kosher.
The KOF-K emblem is the internationally recognized trademark of KOF-K Kosher Supervision, one of the foremost Kosher certification agencies in the United States. Only those products and services meeting the strictest standards of Kosher law are permitted to display the symbol, which is protected under Federal law against unauthorized use. When consumers see KOF-K on a product, they know they are buying foods that meet the highest levels of kashrus (Kosher law).
For more information, visit kof-k.org